Friday, October 10, 2014

Crustless/ Gluten Free Quiche with CSA Greens

So many greens this summer.  I was running out of ideas for collards and chard.  I started blanching and freezing my greens.  Then, I bought too many eggs.  Quiche!  Thats the answer!  Traditionally, quiche is made with spinach.  Why not try other greens?  I used chard for this recipe but I'm sure it would be delicious with collards, too.
As Ive mentioned, Im gluten intolerant.  This recipe is crustless because Im much too lazy to find a recipe to make a gluten free crust.


Crustless Quiche
1 tbs oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
10 oz of greens
5 eggs
3 cups cheese (I used a mix of sharp cheddar and Mexican blend)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
**5 slices of ham or bacon (optional), cut small

Preheat oven to 350*, prep a greased 9in round baking dish

In a large skillet or dutch oven heat oil.  Saute onion and garlic in hot oil until soft.  Add greens and ham, cook until greens have lost most of their moisture (about 5 minutes)

In a large bowl beat eggs.  Add cheese, salt and pepper and mix well. 

Add cooked green mixture (be careful that the greens are cooled slightly so that the eggs dont start cooking). 


Pour mixture into pan and bake until egg is set, about 30 minutes.


Allow to cool before serving.  Best served at room temp.

*I made a double batch using thawed greens that I had blanched and frozen in August.  Make sure that they are completely thawed and squeeze out as much water as possible before cooking.  I froze one of the quiches after I had cooked it.  You can just thaw it and eat or you can heat it slightly in a 350* oven for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment