Monday, May 7, 2012

... and 4 breakfasts

I decided to make a half batch of ready-made oatmeal breakfasts.  Having not an inch left in my freezer, I figured that if I make a small batch it can just be refrigerated for a couple days.  I bought frozen peaches, mixed berries, strawberries and fresh apples.  Since we like to use the frozen fruit in shakes and husband likes to each frozen peaches as a snack, I decided to make apple and cinnamon.  I put 1/2 medium apple diced into each container and about 2 tsp of cinnamon.

Crock Pot Oatmeal
4 cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal
4 cup Milk -(I used Original Almond Milk because Im lactose intolerant)
4 cup Water
3 tbs Honey to sweeten
- Put all ingredients into crock pot and cook on low until to a tenderness you like (I did mine about 1 hour).  This 2:1 liquid:oatmeal combo makes a fairly runny oatmeal.  Adjust your liquid to your preference.
- Allow to cool slightly.  Scoop 1 cup per container.
- Add fresh or frozen fruit.
If you will be eating it within a couple days you can refrigerate just keep an eye on it if you use fresh fruit.  You can also freeze it.  When ready to eat, pop into the microwave to reheat.

Cutting the recipe in half produced four containers of 1 cup oatmeal each


No comments:

Post a Comment