Sunday, October 28, 2012

homemade mexican chocolate and homemade caramels

I found a great recipe for homemade caramels earlier this week.  Thought I would give it a try but didnt read the red bit at the end about their gooeyness.  I thought maybe it was due to my sweetened condensed milk substitution but I guess it was just the way the recipe is.  I also had a good bit of melting chocolate laying around.  Inspiration struck.  Its Halloween time, Im sick of ordinary chocolate.  I decided to go south of the border with it.

Mexican Chocolate
10oz of melting chocolate (its a weird amount, I know, but its what I had left over)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne powder









I find the best way to melt chocolate is in the crock pot on low.  It doesnt take very long and heats it low enough as to not seize the chocolate.
Put chocolate into crock pot.
Melt on low.
Once chocolate is melted, mix in seasonings.
Pour melted chocolate into a form, I used ramekins but anything will work.  Muffin tins also work well.
Allow to cool.



*Since I had leftover yummy caramel, I poured some of the caramel on top, allowed to cool, then added more chocolate to make a layered disk.

No comments:

Post a Comment