Sunday, June 26, 2016

Hearty Egg Drop Soup

I've been stocking up on eggs lately.  In my area, upstate NY, eggs at Aldi grocery store have been running at $0.79.  I was trying to think of different things to do with eggs for dinner, I think my husband is getting sick of quiche.  Then my grandfather popped into my head.  He loved soup.  After my grandmother passed and he was diagnosed with lung cancer, it was about all he ate.  He spent the summer with us the year before he died and taught me how to make egg drop soup.  Egg drop soup, although super delicious, is not a meal in and of itself.  Time to use my CSA to make a nice hearty egg drop soup.  This recipe is super quick and easy.  Start to finish it only takes about 20 minutes.





Hearty Egg Drop Soup

32oz stock, chicken or vegetable 
32oz water (I refill the stock container with water)
4 leaves Napa cabbage, chopped, about 2 cups
3 spring onions, chopped, about 1/2 cup
3 garlic scapes, chopped, about 1/2 cup
     *minced garlic can be subbed
1/4 soy sauce (I use Kikkomen gluten free)
salt and pepper to taste
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
 2 chicken sausages **optional


 In large pot bring to boil all ingredients except eggs.  Reduce to simmer and simmer about 5 minutes.
 Lightly beat 3 eggs

Slowly pour eggs into pot.
Simmer another 5 minutes.

Eat and enjoy!

This served my husband and I but could probably easily feed 4 people.  

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I've always wondered how to make Egg Drop Soup! :)

    ReplyDelete