Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Homemade dishwasher detergent and hand soap

Both of the projects here are taken from other people.  I would reference them but the recipes I have here are amalgamations of their recipes.  Basically, I tweaked it for my own liking


Homemade Hand Soap
1 bar of antibacterial soap, grated
8 cups of water

Bring water to a boil in medium pot
Remove pot from heat then add grated soap.  Stir until soap is melted/dissolved
Let mixture set for 15 minutes then stir again
Let soap set for 8 hours to overnight.  
Use a mixer or masher to break it up.  If it seems too thick, add more hot water while mixing
Soap should be ... well... snotty in consistency.
Pour into container.  
*I made a double batch.  I was able to fill 2 foaming pumps, 1 regular pump, a well rinsed gallon bleach container and 4 24 oz soda bottles. 
IF YOU USE FOAMING MIX HALF WATER HALF SOAP MIX
.





Dishwasher Detergent
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing powder**
1/2 cup Lemi-shine/ citric acid OR 4 pkg s/f lemon koolaid
1/2 cup kosher salt
white vinegar

Mix all the dry ingredients and store in airtight container.  
(I used a coffee canister.)
Use 1 TBS per dishwasher load.  Add vinegar to the rinse compartment.

I did find that there was a little film on gladware/tupperware but otherwise everything came out sparkling.

**You can make your own washing soda by using baking soda.  You can use double the amount of baking soda as the recipe calls for washing soda.  But there is another way!
Sprinkle baking soda on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment