Thursday, August 28, 2014

Quinoa Sliders

This is one of my favorite non-meat meals.  We only discovered the wonder of quinoa in the past year or so.  Its a South American grain that is high in protein.  Generally, when cooking, I treat it like rice.  Follow the basic rice formula of 2:1 (2c water :1c quinoa or rice).  I dont usually rinse mine because I like the starchiness.  Best cheat is to just use a rice cooker.


Quinoa Sliders
1 c quinoa
2 c water
4 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 c of cooked greens (in this case I used leftover chard)
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 large eggs
1/2 c shredded cheddar
*1/2 c bread crumbs, adjust for moisture (Im Celiac so I use ground corn Chex)

Bring 2 cups of water to boil.  Add quinoa.  Cook 20 minutes, until water is cooked out.  (As I said, I just throw it all in my rice cooker)

While quinoa is cooking, cook down the chard by ripping it into pieces and cooking with a small amount of water.  Once chard is cooked, use a wand blender or food processor to break it down.



Cut up garlic, onion, and peppers while quinoa cools



 In a separate bowl beat eggs.  
Mix together all ingredients
*adjust the amount of breadcrumbs, it should be just moist enough to hold a patty shape



Form into even patties (I use an ice cream scoop) and place on baking sheet or plate
Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to set up

Heat a large skillet with just enough oil to coat the bottom.  
Fry the patties for 4 minutes per side.
(If they arent cooked enough they may fall apart... but they will still be yummy!)


I like to eat mine with a little horseradish-Dijon.

Makes about 12 patties.





No comments:

Post a Comment